Girl Suffers Third Degree Burns in 'TikTok Challenge' | 22 Words

The internet is horrified as a mother warns others about a TikTok trend which has left her daughter in hospital with third degree burns...

Destini Crane, 13, was left with third degree burns and the loss of mobility in her arm, neck and shoulders after following a viral trend...

Unsplash

This story is another in the long list of kids falling foul to the dangerous side of the short-form content app.

Now, we all know that TikTok has well and truly taken over the world since it was launched in 2016...

Unsplash

And the app currently has more than 680 million active users around the world, according to recent statistics.

It's wildly popular...


But there's no denying that the app is certainly overridden by the younger generation.

Which isn't a problem, of course, until youngsters are exposed to some pretty gristly stuff.


TikTok has become notorious for its "challenges" that often include young people taking part in disturbing and dangerous tasks.

For example...

Pixabay

The "skull breaker" challenge was trending heavily last year, which involved 3 people standing next to one another in a line, and when the person in the middle jumps in the air, the people on either side kick out the legs of the middle person.

This leads to countless head injuries and skull fractures; especially among young people and children.

The "full face wax" challenge was also notoriously dangerous...


It involved waxers and amateurs pouring wax all over a person's face, including their eyes and nose, which would result in serious burns and - in more serious cases - the removal of skin.

Ouch.

And not to mention the scarily high number of suicide videos that have been live-streamed on the app...

Pixabay

Which sadly made their way onto the screens of children's phones.

Parents from all around the world have been slamming the app for quite some time now...


And many have been demanding for it to be banned completely in the interest of child safety.

The most recent concern for child safety on the app comes from mom Kimberly Crane.

Unsplash

She has issued a warning about a potentially deadly new TikTok trend after it almost killed her daughter...

Destini Crane attempted the TikTok trend in the bathroom.

It is believed she had taken a candle, lighter and rubbing alcohol into the bathroom to try and draw a shape on the mirror and then set it alight.

Her mom had no idea what was going on...

Scared Horror GIF Giphy

Until she heard her daughter screaming for help in the bathroom.

The alcohol had exploded.

Kimberly said she walked in to find her bathroom on fire, including her daughter, as the bathroom was poorly ventilated.

She was rushed from her home in Portland, Oregon, USA, to hospital following the incident on May 13 and has been in the intensive care unit ever since.

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

Kimberly told ABC News: "I was in the living room talking with my mom, and I heard her scream my name."

"So I went and opened the bathroom door and everything was on fire. Destini was on fire. Things in the bathroom were on fire."

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

She told a neighbour to call an ambulance, but Destini had already suffered third degree burns mostly on her neck and right arm. She has had to undergo three skin grafting surgeries.

Kimberly said her daughter "lived for TikTok's."

Getty Images

"I know that when she wakes up and fully understands, she's probably going to freak out."

When she retrieved Destini's phone, TikTok was still recording a video.

Getty Images

She says she wants parents to be aware of the dangerous fads that are on the app. Destini is expected to have several months of recovery ahead of her, including inpatient rehabilitation to regain use of her arm and mobility in her neck, shoulders and fingers.

What do you think?

Scroll on for more like this...