12-Year-Old Boy Left Brain Dead After Doing TikTok Challenge | 22 Words

A twelve-year-old boy has been left brain dead after taking part in yet another dangerous TikTok challenge...

And this tragic story just goes to show the dangers of the popular video-making app.

Unsplash

Here's the full story...

Now, we all know that TikTok has well and truly taken over the world since it was launched in 2016...

Unsplash

And the app currently has more than 680 million active users around the world, according to recent statistics.

It's wildly popular...


But there's no denying that the app is certainly overridden by the younger generation.

Which isn't a problem, of course, until youngsters are exposed to some pretty gristly stuff.


TikTok has become notorious for its "challenges" that often include young people taking part in disturbing and dangerous tasks.

For example...

Pixabay

The "skull breaker" challenge was trending heavily last year, which involved 3 people standing next to one another in a line, and when the person in the middle jumps in the air, the people on either sidekick out the legs of the middle person.

This lead to countless head injuries and skull fractures; especially among young people and children.

The "full face wax" challenge was also notoriously dangerous...


It involved waxers and amateurs pouring wax all over a person's face, including their eyes and nose, which would result in serious burns and - in more serious cases - the removal of skin.

Ouch.

And not to mention the scarily high number of suicide videos that have been live-streamed on the app...

Pixabay

Which sadly made their way onto the screens of children's phones.

Parents from all around the world have been slamming the app for quite some time now...

And many have been demanding for it to be banned completely in the interest of child safety.

Well, the most recent TikTok challenge has caused utter outrage after a twelve-year-old boy has been left brain dead...

Unsplash

And people have been urging others to educate their children about using apps like TikTok amid the terrible tragedy.

Twelve-year-old Joshua Haileyesus, who's from Colorado, was found unresponsive on his bathroom floor on March 22nd.

GoFundMe

His twin brother was the one who found him and attempted to resuscitate him until help arrived.

According to his family, Joshua had choked himself with a shoelace to see how long he could hold his breath.

Unsplash

"The game has actually been around for years and is sometimes known as the 'Passout Challenge', 'The Game of Choking', 'Speed Dreaming' or 'The Fainting Game,' but it's currently gaining traction on TikTok," his family wrote in a GoFundMe statement.

The statement continued:

Unsplash

"Unbeknownst to his parents, Joshua had been playing this dangerous game completely unaware of the risks involved. He is currently being intubated and the doctors have said that his chance for survival is extremely unlikely."

His father told Fox19 that doctors have informed them Joshua is brain dead, but they are praying for a miracle.

Unsplash

"Told me the bad news that he's not going to survive, he's not going to make it," Haileyesus Zeryihun said, "I was begging them on the floor, pleading to see if they can give me some time, not to give up on him. If I just give up on him, I feel like I'm just walking away from my son."

"He's a fighter. I can see him fighting. I'm praying for him every day," he added.

Unsplash

"It's just heartbreaking to see him laying on the bed."

Joshua's dad then said how he saw his son boasting about being able to hold his breath for over a minute to his twin brother...

YouTube / CBS Denver

But he didn't realize it would lead to this.

The GoFundMe was set up to assist with Joshua's medical bills...

YouTube / CBS Denver

And at the time of writing, the page has raised $150,117.

We sincerely hope that Joshua will make a full recovery soon...

YouTube / CBS Denver

And our deepest condolences go out to his family during this difficult time.