Mom and Son Arrested for Theft of Laptop During Capitol Riot | 22 Words

A mom and her son have been arrested for the theft of a laptop used by the staff of House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi, during the January 6th Capitol riot.

Maryann Mooney-Rondon and her son, Rafael Rondon have been charged with aiding in the theft of a laptop belonging to the staff of Pelosi during the Capitol riots.

The pair, from New York, were arrested by the FBI after officials originally raiding a home in Alaska in search of the laptop.

According to a statement from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of New York, Mooney-Rondon and her son appeared in federal court on Friday where they were released pending further proceedings, NBC reports.

According to court documents, Mooney-Rondon allegedly admitted to being inside of the Capitol during the riots and inside of Pelosi's conference room.

As per NCB, Mooney-Rondon allegedly provided a man with gloves or a scarf to help him steal the laptop without leaving any fingerprints after he "scared me."

Getty Images

Court documents claim that Rondon told the FBI there was an Ethernet cable attached to the laptop when the man tried to disconnect it. Recalling the event in the document, Mooney-Rondon reportedly said: "If I recall, the guy was going to yank it out. I'm like, dude, don't do that, I mean that's, I mean just the computer, you can't pull the cables out, it'll ruin everything."

Mooney-Rondon also said that she saw what she believes was the man putting Pelosi's computer in his backpack.

Getty Images

The document claims that Rondon said that he thinks he might have pushed the computer "in his bag a little bit" using a glove to avoid getting his fingerprints on it.

Mooney-Rondon and Rondon face other charges, including disorderly conduct in a restricted building, in relation to the Capitol riots.

Rondon faces an additional charge for possession of an unregistered sawed-off shotgun which carries "a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison, a fine of up to $250,000, and a term of supervised release of up to 3 years," a legal document reports.