Dwayne Johnson Says He Won't Return to 'Fast & Furious' | 22 Words

Dwayne Johnson has announced that he won't return to the remaining installments of the Fast & Furious movies.

Of course, fans of the franchise will be no strangers to the beef between Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel.

After Johnson teamed up with Jason Statham for the much-anticipated Hobbs & Shaw spin-off, many of the original Fast & Furious cast saw it as something of a betrayal. Since then, there has been a lot of social media mud-slinging, with Diesel and Johnson being the main participants.

Back in 2019, Johnson took to Instagram to put an end to the feud once and for all, but there's still some tension between the stars.

Now, the Fast and Furious franchise is one of the most successful in history. After debuting in 2001, there have been a whopping eight movies, every one a huge blockbuster smash. After the 9th film comes out there are still 2 more already in planning for the future.

But it looks like Johnson won't be returning to play his part as Luke Hobbs.

While promoting F&F 9, Diesel spoke out about the tension between Johnson and him in a Men's Health interview and said: "I could give a lot of tough love."

"Not Felliniesque, but I would do anything I'd have to do in order to get performances in anything I'm producing," Diesel added.

When The Hollywood Reporter asked Johnson about Diesel's comments in a new interview that was published on Wednesday, Johnson responded: "I laughed and I laughed hard. I think everyone had a laugh at that. And I'll leave it at that. And that I've wished them well."

"I wish them well on Fast 9. And I wish them the best of luck on Fast 10 and Fast eleven and the rest of the Fast & Furious movies they do that will be without me," Johnson added.

According to Vulture, during the Fate of the Furious production back in 2016, Johnson expressed his frustrations with one of his male co-stars while refusing to reveal who it was.

Getty Images

"Some conduct themselves as stand-up men and true professionals, while others don't," he wrote in an Instagram post at the time, which has since been deleted. "The ones that don't are too chicken sh*t to do anything about it anyway. Candy asses. When you watch this movie next April and it seems like I'm not acting in some of these scenes and my blood is legit boiling — you're right."

TMZ reported at the time that Diesel was the co-star Johnson was calling out because he wasn't happy with his producing decisions. It also cited anonymous "production sources" who said Johnson was annoyed that Diesel would turn up late to scenes and that he was arrogant and often criticized his co-stars' acting.