A twenty-one-year-old man was left fighting for his life after drinking an "excessive" amount of energy drinks led to heart failure.
Here's the full story...
For a long time, energy drinks have sparked heated discussions.
The caffeinated beverages often contain more caffeine and sugar than anything else, and if drank too much, they can cause serious health issues.
Consumption of the drinks is said to be okay in moderation.
However, many argue against that, with problems such as addiction and health issues occurring as a result.
One man learned this after he was left fighting for his life due to his energy drink habit.
An unnamed twenty-one-year-old man developed heart failure after drinking an "excessive" amount of energy drinks.
And its led to people sharing their own thoughts on the drinks...
A report in a medical journal revealed the unnamed man drank 4 500ml energy drinks a day, with each can containing around 160mg of caffeine, The Sun reports.
The man was consuming 640mg a day of caffeine a day for 2 years despite up to 400mg considered a safe limit.
Writing in the BMJ Case Report, doctors explained that the man, who was a university student in the UK, eventually began suffering from shortness of breath and weight loss.
After this lasted for 4 months, he decided to seek help.
Following tests at the hospital, it was revealed that he had both heart and kidney failure.
With the kidney failure linked to a previously undiagnosed condition.
He was a relatively healthy man who had no medical history other than excessive energy drink intake.
But as a result, the man required intensive care treatment with doctors even considering an organ transplant.
The man spent a total of fifty-eight days in hospital.
And 9 months after hospitalization, the student's heart function appeared to have returned with "mildly impaired function" after medication.
Included in the report, was the man's thoughts on what happened...
"When I was drinking up to 4 energy drinks per day, I suffered from tremors and heart palpitations, which interfered with my ability to concentrate on daily tasks and my studies at university," he said.
"I also suffered from severe migraine headaches which would often occur during the periods when I did not drink energy drink; this also restricted my ability to perform day-to-day tasks and even leisurely activities such as going to the park or taking a walk."
He also called for more awareness on the effects of energy drinks: "I think there should be more awareness about energy drinks and the effect of their contents."
"I believe they are very addictive and far too accessible to young children. I think warning labels, similar to smoking, should be made to illustrate the potential dangers of the ingredients in energy drink."
It "adds to the growing concern in the literature about the potential cardiotoxic effects of energy drinks," the authors of the case study added.
Keep scrolling for more...