These days, more and more adults are opting out of having children, but why is this? Financial issues? Climate issues? Health issues? There's a whole bunch of different reasons as to why people don't want kids but recently, we delved deeper into the topic via a Reddit thread to see if we could get some more personal answers and trust me, it did not disappoint.
1. "Because I don't currently have a partner or much financial stability in my life at this stage, and I don't want to be a single parent or bring a child into the world if I'm not in a position to provide for them."
2. "For me, it's the myriad of mental disorders I have. I don't want to pass that on to another human being, much less my own child."
3. "In a psych class, we learned about a study where they separated monkeys from their mothers at birth. The monkeys grew to be anxious and twitchy. When those monkeys had their own kids, the mothers didn't know how to care for them. I was raised horribly, so I don't know how to raise someone well. My parents had children even though their parents abused them. My grandparents' parents probably also abused them. I'm just cutting off the cycle."
4. "I was 'parentified' as a child to my four younger siblings. When I see a child now, I act nice but cannot wait to get away from it. I had my share of caring for kids and have next to nothing positive come out of it."
5. "I have two boys, and I love them, but boy, do I wish I hadn't had them. Whether it be political, climatic, or economical, their future doesn't look too bright, and my whole life is now dedicated to making sure I can be around and financially available to help them in a cutthroat world."
6. "I like my life how it is right now. Sleeping in, taking spontaneous trips, spending my money on myself. Having a kid means your entire life changes, and I don't want my life to change."
7. "I'm lazy. I like my free time. I like money (well, the little I do have!). I like sleep. I've also just never had the instinct in me to want kids. I feel complete without them. Plus, it's scary enough worrying about my own future, let alone the future of miniature humans."
8. "Kids destroy things. They make messes. I just was able to take out a life for myself in a house and actually buy some new things and make it feel like I'm finally an adult. For kids to ruin the couch I saved for or the TV I saved for would just be too much. Those are symbols of my hard work and accomplishments!"
9. "I can barely go through my period without painkillers — I'll never manage to give birth. Also, I don't like kids, they're annoying."
10. "I'd love to if I could be a father. Motherhood asks you to sacrifice everything — from your body, to identity, to even your life for your child (my mom almost died in childbirth). I love my body, my financial freedom, my career, my relationship, and the cleanliness and silence of my home. I refuse to give any of that up for a child I know I would resent for upheaving my life."
Read more opinions here.