Widow of Officer Who Died After Capitol Riots Suing Attacker | 22 Words

The wife of DC Police Officer Jeffrey Smith, who died by suicide just 9 days after the January 6 riot has filed a lawsuit against the man that allegedly attacked her husband.

The lawsuit claims that Smith suffered a traumatic brain injury as a result of being hit in the head, which led to him taking his own life 9 days later. The case, which was filed by Smith's widow, Erin, contains a report by DC Medical Examiner Jonathan L. Arden, who said that Smith's death was likely caused by "post-concussion syndrome."

As written in the lawsuit, Smith apparently "suffered great pain and mental anguish and mental distress" and "he was otherwise damaged."

According to the Washington Post, Smith, who was in DC's Metropolitan Police Department for twelve years, shot himself while driving along on the George Washington Memorial Parkway following orders for him to return to work.

Smith was 1 of 4 other police officers who died by suicide in the following weeks after the Capitol riot.

According to HuffPost, Smith's lawyer, David P. Weber, who is also a forensic professor at Perdue School of Business in Maryland, read a HuffPost article about the "Sedition Hunters," which are a group of people trying to unmask individuals that took part in the riot.

According to the report, Weber later made contact with a group called Deep State Dogs, which had already identified several people involved in the riot.

It took the group just over a month to find the evidence relating to Smith's attack, by using facial recognition software.

"We felt we had to do something to honor the memory and family of Officer Smith. It's terrible that the bereaved were left in that situation," group member, Forrest Rogers told HuffPost. "So we turned to the thing we do best: finding bad guys."

The group managed to identify a man who could be seen confronting Smith before he collapsed. They identified the man who was allegedly spotted wearing the same motorcycle jacket on his YouTube channel.


The suit claims that the alleged attacker was handed a "cane or crowbar" by a co-defendant.

"[He] in turn, violently swung the cane and struck Officer Smith in the face/head."

A spokesperson for MPD said it was aware of the situation.

"We are aware and reviewing the current information at this time. The FBI serves as the primary investigative agency regarding the incidents that occurred on January 6th, and we will continue to support their investigations into this matter."

According to the lawsuit, the estate is asking for a $2 million judgment and punitive damages totaling $5 million.